Health and Physical Education
Health and Physical Education
Students identify attitudes and values for a healthy, active lifestyle and demonstrate values consistent with the prevention of ill-health, the acceptance of personal responsibility for their health and physical activity levels, respect for social justice principles and a commitment to personal achievement. The Health & Physical Education curriculum provides opportunities for students to develop, enhance and exhibit attitudes and values that promote a healthy lifestyle.
Students are assessed on three different strands for Physical Education.
- Movement and Physical Education-Moving our Body: strategies and tactics when playing in game situations and improving accuracy and efficiency in skill performance
- Understanding Movement: ways in which physical activities improve elements of health and fitness and measuring our body’s response to physical activity
- Learning Through Movement: communication skills that enhance team cohesion, demonstrating characteristics of fair play and being a good sport
During Health, students are assessed on the strands:
Personal, social and community health
- Being healthy, safe and active: actions and strategies to enhance health and wellbeing in a range of environments and the impact of external influences on the ability to make healthy and safe choices
- Communicating and interacting for health and wellbeing: personal, social and cultural factors influence emotional responses and behaviour
- Contributing to healthy and active communities: health promotion and implications of attitudes and behaviours on individual’s and the community
The Eaton Community College Health and Physical Education Department is an experienced and vibrant team who are dedicated to delivering all aspects of the Curriculum in an interesting and meaningful way. Health and Physical Education is a key aspect in living healthy and successful lives. Students are exposed to skills and knowledge to enable them to make healthy educated decisions and choices.
Students are delivered a range of different physical activities during General Physical Education classes. Students also have the option in year nine and ten to choose from the very popular electives of:
- Recreation Pursuits
- Specialised Basketball Program
- Specialised Netball
- Specialised AFL
- ECC CrossFit. (Eaton Community College is a CrossFit Affiliate School)
In Senior School, students have the option to choose from:
- General Physical Education Courses
- Certificate II Sport and Recreation
- ATAR PE Studies
- General Health Studies
- ATAR Health Studies
These courses give students the opportunity to continue to develop their skills and knowledge in the physical education field whilst attaining their WACE and/or entry into university.
Eaton Community College has built a reputation of performing to a high standard at all interschool and state-wide sporting events, including Country Week and have done this through not only the excellent facilities that our school has to offer but through the knowledge and dedication of all staff that contribute to the delivery of the Health and Physical Education program.
ECC CrossFit is the first WA Public School to become a CrossFit Affiliate.
CrossFit is a lifestyle characterized by safe, effective exercise and sound nutrition. CrossFit can be used to accomplish any goal, from improved health to weight loss to better performance. The program works for everyone—people who are just starting out and people who have trained for years. The CrossFit prescription is “constantly varied, high-intensity, functional movement.” – crossfit.com
ECC CrossFit tailors its program to meet the health and fitness and sports-specific needs of students with measurable outcomes for participants. CrossFit combines functional and high intensity movements to promote body awareness and develop strength, agility and power. ECC aims to be an all-inclusive program that will give students the opportunity to engage in a program that is scientifically proven, effective, varied and fun which creates a holistic approach to health and well-being of the mind, body and soul and also promoting lifelong, physical activity.